[Nut-upsdev] NUT and Automake

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Tue Oct 17 20:43:46 UTC 2006

Charles Lepple wrote:

> On 10/17/06, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> > Charles Lepple wrote:
> > > Peter: do you know the minimum required versions of autoconf and
> > > automake for your changes?
> >
> > Unfortunately, I don't have that information (finding out would
> > require installing older versions and trying them). I am using
> > autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.9.6, which are more or less the most
> > current versions (I think?).
>
> I wasn't trying to make more work for you, honest. I think Debian has
> automake back to 1.4, and the reason I mention it is that older
> versions often get set as default. I don't think it's unreasonable to
> say that we "require" autoconf 2.59+ and automake 1.9+ even if it
> might work with automake 1.9.
>
> > The good news is that automake/autoconf only need to be run by
> >
> > * maintainers,
> > * people who want to build from SVN
>
> Understood. And if we use "make distcheck" to roll SVN snapshots, then
> the snapshot users don't need autoconf/make, either. I'll see what I
> can do about automating that.

For the building of daily snapshots, it would be nice if the SVN
revision could be reflected in the version number, e.g. 2.1.0-r551.
This way, when we see debug output on the mailing list, we'll always
know what revision it is referring to. Something like the following
stub script, run from a cron job, would perhaps do:

#!/bin/bash
# snapshot.sh: build a daily tarball of NUT

### svn checkout...

svn update > snapshot-revision
REVISION=`cat snapshot-revision | sed -n 's/At revision \([0-9]*\)\./\1/p'`
if test -z "$REVISION"; then
    echo "Could not determine SVN revision."
    exit 1
fi

mv -f configure.in snapshot-configure.in
cat snapshot-configure.in | sed 's/AC_INIT(nut, \(.*\))/AC_INIT(nut, \1-r'"$REVISION"')/' > configure.in
make distcheck
RESULT="$?"
mv -f snapshot-configure.in configure.in

if test "$RESULT" -ne 0; then
    echo "make distcheck failed."
    exit 2
fi

### ... distribute nut-*-r"$REVISION".tar.gz