[Nut-upsdev] questions re. patching bcmxcp.c and choosing variable names

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:38:36 UTC 2007

On 4/6/07, Oliver Wilcock <oliver at owch.ca> wrote:
> And since I'm so green that I don't know what a patch in diff -u format
> means, would someone be kind enough to explain how to submit this patch
> (or point me to a succinct description).

As Arjen explained, "diff" is the command name that compares the two
files, and usually you want to pass it "-uN" for comparing individual
files.

If you make a copy of the entire directory before you start, you can
run "diff -Naur nut-2.x.y-orig nut-2.x.y" and it will recurse through
the directory ("-r") looking for changed files as well as newly added
files ("-a").

Also, if you check out the source from SVN, running "svn diff" is
equivalent to running "diff -Naur" between the source checked out of
SVN, and your local modifications. This is probably the easiest way to
stay in sync, because you can always run "svn update" if someone makes
a change before your patch gets checked in.

--
- Charles Lepple