[Nut-upsdev] Driver for Cyberpower PR2200

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Fri Apr 27 20:05:30 UTC 2007

>> One thing I particularly don't like about the current
>> cyberpower driver, is that the driver attempts to 'correct'
>> the readings from the UPS. I don't think this is a good idea,
>> since you'll have to convert back and forth between UPS and
>> NUT representation when setting the parameters mentioned
>> above. You'll end up with a complex driver, that is optimized
>> for one single device (the one you used to calibrate the
>> readings), but can be way off for others.
>
> Can you elaborate on this a little?  Are you saying that the temperature
> reported by the UPS is not the temperature displayed in powerpanel?

No, these appear to have a direct relation.

> This might explain the offsets between the values reported in the OEM
> linux software and what the existing powerpanel driver reported for
> charge, temp, etc.

I don't know about the OEM software or the (Windows) Powerpanel driver. I
do know that the values posted in the logs don't match to what's coming
from the UPS for the load and battery charge. Both load and battery charge
are reported by the UPS in integer numbers (a percentage). Any decimals
are 'made up' by whatever is outputting this to the log.

The reason the existing 'cyberpower' driver reports a wrong temperature,
is that it does all sorts of calculations with the value reported by the
UPS, while it should just take it verbatim.

> I will eliminate the time from portmon.  When the data is logged to the
> screen it doesn't clutter anything or add extra lines.  I wanted to have
> it in there because it provided a clear map between the status reports
> in portmon and the status lines from the powerpanel log.  Unfortunately,
> portmon makes a mess of things when it logs to a file.

I was wrong here. In fact, the sheets 'Cyberpower PR2200 Connected' and
'High Load_Fail_Recover' are in a very usable format. It is the 'High
Load_Fail_shutdown' sheet that is difficult to interpret, since the useful
data (what is written to/from the UPS) is not all in the same column. So
stick to whatever you did for the first two.

Time permitting, I will see what I can do over the weekend to come up with
an improved driver. For the time being, this will be a separate one (to
not interfere with existing drivers), but eventually I'll merge it with
the existing 'powerpanel' driver.