[Nut-upsdev] Using USB CyberPower CPL550SL / AE550, not working with usbhid-ups driver.

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 07:18:12 CET 2007

So I just bought one of these fabulous CyberPower UPS devices from BestBuy
hoping I could control it with my machine.  Luckily, I found NUT!  I've got
the SVN sources and compiled and installed them but I haven't been able to
get it to recognize the usb AE550.

When I plug the usb cable in I see this in syslog:
Feb  6 22:36:56 mythbox kernel: usb 1-1: new low speed USB device using
ohci_hcd and address 4
Feb  6 22:36:56 mythbox kernel: usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1
choice
Feb  6 22:36:56 mythbox kernel: hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [CPS UPS
AE550] on usb-0000:00:02.0-1

I run lsusb and I see this:
$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 15c2:ffda SoundGraph Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

My /usr/local/ups/etc/ups.conf file contains
[CyberPower]
 driver = usbhid-ups
 port = auto
# vendor = "Cyber Power Systems"
# product = "AE550"
# vendorid = 0764
# productid = 0501
 desc = "MythBox"

When I run upsdrvctl start I get this:
$ ./upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.1.0
Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.1.0)

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

I have tried everything in attempt to get this recognized.  As you can see
in my conf file I tried supplying the values I recieved in lsusb and the
vendor and product names.  I've tried doing that at the command line as well
running usbhid-ups -x vendor=CyberPower.  I've also tried supplying
usbhid-ups with the device name /dev/usb/hiddev0 or /dev/usbdev1.4_ep00 or
/dev/usbdev1.4_ep81 (not sure what these are but I think they all represent
the ups).  I've created a user for the software to use and set the
permissions correctly.  What am I missing??

BTW: I'm running 64bit version of Debian.  I didn't have any problems with
the compile or install.

Thanks,
-Greg