[Nut-upsdev] tripp lite smart2200RMXL2U error reading protocol

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon May 14 03:04:55 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, Lance Thomas <Lance.Thomas at fammed.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Here's a shot of the lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04b4:6560 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. CY7C65640
> USB-2.0 "TetraHub"
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 003: ID 413c:2003 Dell Computer Corp.
> Bus 002 Device 002: ID 09ae:3012 Tripp Lite
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Lance,

can you also run 'lsusb -vvv -d 09ae:3012' as root, and post the
results, preferrably after trying to connect once with newhidups?

You may need to pass "-x explore -DD" to newhidups.

The reason for including newhidups in the mix is that when you plug a
HID device (such as a USB UPS) into the machine, the Linux kernel
binds the "hiddev" driver to the HID interface of the device. We need
to detach the "hiddev" driver (which newhidups tries to do), otherwise
you will get this somewhere in the output from lsusb:

         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **

The "Report Descriptors" section gives us a hint as to how the USB
packets from the UPS are structured.

thanks,

- Charles

- Charles Lepple