[Nut-upsdev] [nut-commits] svn commit r1049 - in trunk: . drivers

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 14:30:41 UTC 2007

2007/8/14, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org>:
> >> Is this really needed/desirable? I think this kind of information needs
> >> to be put in the AUTHORS document. There are many more people on this
> >> list that put a lot of effort in NUT, without claiming credit so openly.
> >>
> >> Just my 2c.
> >
> > I agree that this information should be in the AUTHORS document, but I
> > also thing the driver banner should mention someone that's responsible
> > for answering questions about it. Users tend to contact whoever gets
> > its name printed on the console.
>
> And that's exactly why I think this should not be in the banner. :-)
>
> > I get a few emails about megatec_usb because my name gets printed by
> > the megatec "core", and while I'm not bothered by it per se, I can't
> > usually give any decent answer, and the user would be better off just
> > contacting the subdriver maintainer(s) directly.
>
> The problem I have with putting this in the driver, is that in many cases,
> drivers long outlive the commitment of their authors to maintain them.
> Also, you may have other things on your mind and have no time to answer
> questions. If people have questions, they should go to the 'nut-upsuser'
> mailinglist, not contact authors directly.
>
> Fortunately, there are currently just a handful of drivers that list an
> author: megatec(_usb), solis and upscode2. I we should remove those from
> the banner.

Fully agreed.

As a side note, I've talked last year iirc, about adding a driver
struct to track the banner, author and maintainer info. Since there
was (is, by Niels iirc) also an effort to lower NUT verbosity when
everything goes fine, these info would only be printed when calling
-help

Arjen's above statement is right, and we should:
- list authors and contributors
- but redirect support request to the user list

Ubuntu Media Center (UMC) Project Leader - https://launchpad.net/~umc-team