[Nut-upsdev] Tripp Lite G1000U (0x2007)

Royce Williams royce at tycho.org
Mon Dec 1 19:53:57 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm new to the list, new to NUT, but not new to Unix-likes.  I
could use some help getting NUT to talk to my Tripp Lite G1000U.
Searching Google for "Tripp Lite G1000U" returns exactly two hits
at this writing, so that may not be a good sign. ;-)  It may just
be rebranded for sale through this source (Costco).

Externally, the G1000U looks much like the SMART1000LCD: an amber
LCD, jacks for coax and telephone, four protected receptacles and
four non-protected, and a USB-only interface.  Internally, it's
product 2007, vendor 09ae.

I am running FreeBSD 6.4 with a stock kernel (and so uhid is
enabled) and I installed the FreeBSD port of NUT (nut-2.2.2) today
with the following options set:

[ ] SERIAL  SERIAL support
[X] USB     USB support
[X] SNMP    SNMP support
[X] NEON    NEON XML/HTTP support
[ ] HAL     HAL support
[X] IPV6    IPV6 support
[ ] DEVEL   Install header files
[X] CGI     Web CGI interface

I read Charles Sprickman's helpful post 'Some FreeBSD tips':

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2007-March/002513.html

... but I wasn't able to figure out if uhid should be disabled or not
for my unit.  I am in the process of compiling a kernel without uhid
so that I can try the tripplite_usb driver, but I wanted to also post
here because of the lack of G1000U information indexed by Google.

Here's how I tried the driver:

$ sudo /usr/local/libexec/nut/usbhid-ups -a tripplite-g1000u -u root -DDD
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

debug level is '3'
upsdrv_initups...
No appropriate HID device found
No matching HID UPS found

Other information as follows:

Kernel message on attachment:
  kernel: uhid0: Tripp Lite TRIPP LITE UPS, rev 1.10/0.10, addr 2, iclass 3/0

$ sudo usbdevs -d -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub0
 port 1 addr 2: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, TRIPP LITE
UPS(0x2007), Tripp Lite(0x09ae), rev 0.10
   uhid0
[snip]

$ nocomment ups.conf
[tripplite-g1000u]
   driver = usbhid-ups
   port = auto
   desc = "primary UPS"

$ nocomment upsd.conf
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
ACL lan [redacted]
ACCEPT localhost lan
REJECT all

Any help appreciated, especially if I'm missing something obvious in
the configs.  If the G1000U is new to the project, I'm more than
willing to play guinea pig.

And thanks for the project generally - I was pleased to find something
this sophisticated, and hope to give back in some way.

Royce