[Nut-upsdev] Maruson power net 1500 support?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Mon May 19 22:27:10 UTC 2008

Charles Lepple wrote:

> I would guess that the nut-upsuser list might reach a broader
> audience, but I don't think we have heard of any user experiences with
> this brand.
>
> Have you checked the manufacturer's website for drivers? Even if they
> do not have Linux drivers, the name of the Windows monitoring software
> can sometimes be a clue to the name of the OEM (if it is rebranded).

Apparently Maruson builds some of Belkin's UPS units with the same
innards but different cases, and the equivalent sized Belkin UPS, the
F6C1500-TW-RK, is theoretically supported now in nut.  The software from
Maruson is a Java package called "WinPower 2.0" whose GenericUnix
version installed in /opt/upspilot.  This software runs, putting up a
nice GUI.  However, for some obscure reason it will not accept a serial
port configuration, and so cannot talk to the UPS.  The software lists
both ttyS0 and ttyS1, but "ok" is grayed out, so there is no way to make
it use one or the other.  This software does not support USB on linux.
The Belkin site distributes something called "Bulldog Plus" for their
UPS, but that would not even run. This is on an SMP x86-64 system, and
the ELF binaries were over 5 years old.

When the UPS was plugged in this appeared in /var/log/messages:

May 19 14:44:37 M kernel: [15917.903404] usb 3-3.3: new low speed USB
device using ehci_hcd and address 10
May 19 14:44:37 M kernel: [15918.020132] usb 3-3.3: configuration #1
chosen from 1 choice
May 19 14:44:37 M kernel: [15918.027496] hiddev96: USB HID v1.11 Device
[OMRON USB UPS] on usb-0000:00:03.2-3.3

I built nut 2.2.2 from scratch and tried the usbhid-ups driver, but
it did not see the UPS.  Put this in ups.conf

[MarusonTop]
	driver = usbhid-ups
	port = auto
	desc = "Top Maruson UPS"

Then:
% /usr/local/ups/bin/usbhid-ups -a MarusonTop
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

This Liebert device (06da:0003) is not (or perhaps not yet) supported
by usbhid-ups. Please make sure you have an up-to-date version of NUT.
If this does not fix the problem, try running the driver with the
'-x productid=0003' option. Please report your results to the NUT user's
mailing list <nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org>.

No matching HID UPS found

No idea why it thinks it is a Liebert.  Anyway...

% /usr/local/ups/bin/usbhid-ups -a MarusonTop -x  productid=0003
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

No matching HID UPS found

% lsusb -vvv

Bus 003 Device 010: ID 06da:0003 Phoenixtec Power Co., Ltd
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x06da Phoenixtec Power Co., Ltd
  idProduct          0x0003
  bcdDevice            2.00
  iManufacturer           3 OMRON
  iProduct                1 USB UPS
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Devices
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor: