[Nut-upsdev] REGRESSION: New "megatec" driver does't work for UPS that was managed by old fentonups driver

Carlos Rodrigues cefrodrigues at mail.telepac.pt
Wed May 21 16:10:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:47 AM, Michel Bouissou
<michel-nut at bouissou.net> wrote:
> I think that my best option from now on will be to start maintaining the
> fentonups driver myself and make it compatible with the latest nut package
> (if it isn't), and then build my own 2.2 package with "fentonups included",
> at least as long as I keep my old dumb UPS. This way I won't have to bother
> maintainers asking them to add code that they don't want to add to "new"
> drivers that are better because they have less features ;-)

Lets clear things up a bit here... The battery charge cannot be relied
upon for anything other than letting less knowlegeable users, for whom
the voltage readings are meaningless, know if the UPS is "almost full"
or "almost empty".

I can add a "battvoltslow" parameter, to trigger a low battery
condition on a specific voltage value. I can also change the megatec
driver to send an "I" before the detection sequence (if the driver in
the trunk/2.2.2 happens to not work).

After this, you can patch the driver to have two charge scales, if you
want. It should be less trouble than maintaining a complete
out-of-tree driver.

--
Carlos Rodrigues