[Nut-upsdev] Additional instcmds for the Powerware 5115

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se
Sun Oct 18 19:56:43 UTC 2009

Hi Rich,

> During the last month, I've been integrating a Powerware 5115 into an
>  embedded system by writing a custom NUT daemon.  This work has gone quite
>  well and NUT has been very helpful, but it sure would be nice to have some
>  additional instcmds for the 5115.

Yes the driver can have some more commands like beeper on/off and some more
test commands. Also some settings command is possible. But I have not got the
time to make any enhancements to the driver lately.

> The bcmxcp driver comments mention "manuals for the BCM/XCP".  I'm
>  wondering if I could get a copy of those so that I might explore enhancing
>  the bcmxcp drivers to support more instcmds.

Eaton has released this to the NUT project, so you have them here.
http://www.networkupstools.org/protocols/eaton/
It is the X-format and xcp document for the 5115.
By running the driver with debug
/path/to/bcmxcp -DD -a <ups> -u root
You get some info about the different block length.

If you come up with something, I would be glad to put it into the
driver.

One thing to keep in mind, is that not all ups'es running the bcmxcp
handle all commands so well.

Regards
/Kjell