[Nut-upsdev] Evolution of the driver.list file

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 20:43:40 UTC 2009

Hi

for those who have missed the previous episode, it's all about
rewriting the NUT file that stores the Hardware Compatibility List.

the format of this file now include the device type (ups, pdu, scd)
and the manufacturer support level.
For more info (including the various support levels), refer to the
header of this file:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/nut/branches/AsciiDoc/data/driver.list.in

now, some update on this evolution:

- I've done a first pass, and commited a driver.list.in (above link),
up to date with the latest trunk. I've tried to be as objective as
possible, using the various information sources we have
(acknowledgements, protocols, driver header, ...) but you know I'm
biased.
- I've used the default support level 1 in absence of evidence,
- I'm not sure about all the megatec / blazer devices!
the protocol has been provided by Fenton a long time ago.
but Fenton seems also dead for long (bought by Metapo ; and no sign of
support outside of win...)
between 2 and 3 for all apart the Fenton ones (4 or 5)
ATM, I've put 2 as a default and 5 to Fenton's megatec entries.
- same for genericups: I've put 1, but it might be 2 or 3, since it
only need the cable schema.
- usbhid-ups has 2 apart for Eaton / MGE ones (4 or 5)
- powerman-pdu units are always set to 1 (Jim, if you have more info...)
- Eaton, MGE *, Gamatronic and MicroDowell receives 5, apart from a
few exceptions.

- Arjen, Charles, Kjell, Alex: can you please check your drivers?

- All: I may have missed or overcome something! please review this file.
and send back your comments.

Note that I'll post soon the link to the updated online version.
but this need some more work...

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops