[Nut-upsdev] apcsmart question

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:49:31 UTC 2011

Hi Michal,

2011/3/21 Michal Soltys <soltys at ziu.info>

> Before I start any commits.
>
> In patch 2/18 -
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2011-March/005299.html
>
> Two "custom" commands slipped in: ups.firmware.old and
> shutdown.return.grace. In 18/18 I tried to rename them and add
> remainig commands for "hackish" shutdown methods, to make them easily
> callable through e.g. upscmd (for example for testing).
>
> Is it acceptable to add certain commands specific only to some driver
> and documented in its manual page (but otherwise meaningless for the
> rest of the drivers) ? Say with (in this case) a driver prefix, e.g.:

I would more be in favor of finally using the extra param of instcmd(const
char *cmdname, const char *extra)
and mapping these commands onto existing ones. Specific parameters would
then be described in manpages.

apcsmart.shutdown.grace (@nnn)
> apcsmart.shutdown.grace.h (@nn)

could you please define (quite probably again, sorry) the meaning of the 2
above and shutdown.return.grace, so that I can propose something here?

> apcsmart.shutdown.cs (force OB (U), then shutdown.return (S)  - aka 'CS
> hack')

this would give "shutdown.return cs"

> apcsmart.firmware.old (V)

I'm not sure to see how useful it is. Are they really storing the previous
FW version?
and what is the use case?
is your unit filling ups.firmware + .aux + .old?
if it's the case, ups.firmware.old has to be added.
otherwise, I'm not sure ups.firmware.aux would be a good option!

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com