[Nut-upsdev] snmp-ups suicides on UPS unreachable

Turronix turronix at shiftmail.org
Mon Jan 10 16:09:07 UTC 2011

Hello there
I am new to NUT
I am trying to monitor an APC smart-UPS with nut.
I'd like to use the ethernet with SNMP (as opposed to serial port)
because it's faster and it doesn't need to authenticate with user/pwd.

The snmp-ups works with our APC, however I noticed a significant problem:

If snmp-ups is started when the UPS is not reachable (e.g. we have a
slow switch that drops the first 30 seconds of communication at computer
boot or interface startup) the snmp-ups suicides (or crashes?) and
apparently there is nothing to re-launch it automatically so the
connection to the UPS will never be established.

On the contrary, if the UPS is reachable when snmp-ups starts,
everything is ok: after that moment you can disconnect and reconnect the
network, restart interfaces, firewall and un-firewall it... it will not
suicide, and as soon as the UPS becomes reachable again it will
reconnect to it and continue monitoring it.

Seems like a bug to me, considering the level of reliability these
systems should have. Or I am missing something?

I have the version in Ubuntu 10.10... nut version 2.4.3 as it seems.

Thanks for any insight
Tu.