[Nut-upsdev] Idea: UPS id via powerline broadcast

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Sep 2 05:13:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Charles Lepple wrote:

> I think the networking layer would be easier than multiple USB connections on
> an UPS (assuming integrated USB/power cables). Manufacturers seem to have a
> hard time supporting both USB and serial at once, let alone multiple USB
> device-side connections.

The UPS wouldn't need to do any USB connections.  It would simply broadcast
the ID and status info via the power line protocol.  An independent
USB device in the power cable would pick that up and pass on to the computer.
This would work for slaves also.

I could see your point should you want to send commands to the UPS, however.

--
 	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>