[Nut-upsdev] a few build nits

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Mar 31 14:18:12 BST 2022

On 3/31/22 6:15 AM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> As for the man page (re)builds, there might be a better way to handle
> that, but de-facto there are two sets of target lists in
> docs/man/Makefile.am:
> * man5_MANS (more for other numbers, other formats) that would build
> just the pages needed for your drivers, developer features etc.
> requested by configure script
> * MAN_MANS and HTML_MANS that would build (and are used to check) all
> docs there are for a format, regardless of whether you build a driver or
> daemon for it today.
>
> Of these, MAN_MANS are (usually) pre-built and dist'ed in the tarball,
> so a build system is not required to have asciidoc to package NUT, and
> can use pages from the tarball "as is".
>
> But fair point, I'll add a `make all-man` in PR #1345 spawned to tune
> builds to cover netbsd better :)

I see; it actually makes sense that the build only builds what is needed
and make check builds all as a prereq to check.  That doesn't bother me
and I don't think it's wrong.   It was just that often when I see make
check building things that aren't test programs it's a sign of a bug.

I see your point about distcheck.  I tend to build tarballs from source
to then use in pkgsrc (not that I publish those tarballs and packages),
to be able to debug the combination of upstream and pkgsrc to be ready
for a release.   I can certainly just flip my script to the light version.

For things like neon, easy to add them.  But it seems like some of the
dependencies are unusual and perhaps even proprietary.  It would be
great to have all this explained and I'll have a look at making a PR.