[Nut-upsdev] Weekend Puzzle: computer posing as an UPS

Jim Klimov jimklimov at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 17:20:38 BST 2024

Cheers all,

  I am experimenting with a Raspberry Pi, and it is fed from my PC
(Debian-ish Linux) that is in turn protected by an UPS - so runs NUT.

  As far as the Pi is concerned, the bigger computer is its wall power
source (provides the USB socket) and being a smart machine with NUT
running, it could pose as an UPS itself. That is, if the big computer is
going to shut down (including probably rebooting, as I expect the
motherboard to power-cycle its USB ports), it should issue FSD on some
bare-bone driver *AND* wait for clients (like upsmon running on the Pi) to
disconnect before proceeding with its own power-off/reboot.

  Did anyone already solve something like this with a custom driver or
smart use of dummy-ups vs. systemd, etc.? Probably not a hard puzzle, but
still a fun one - and if someone has already navigated the hidden troubles
and can share - so much the better :)

Jim Klimov