[Nut-upsuser] APC Back-UPS ES 500 and Red Hat 7.3

Gregory Gulik greg at gulik.org
Tue Aug 2 15:33:28 UTC 2005

I have an older system which has a simple APC Back-UPS ES 500 connected
via USB.  I built nut 2.0.2 from source and am attempting to get it to work.

I had to manually create the device links and I think it's ok because
hidups is recognizing the UPS but any attempts to read data from it fail:

[root at server bin]# ./hidups -D -D -D /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0
Network UPS Tools: HID UPS driver 0.13 (2.0.0)

Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

debug level is '3'
Detected APC Back-UPS ES 500 FW:801.e5.D USB FW:e5
on port /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0
dstate_init: sock /var/state/ups/hidups-hiddev0 open on fd 5

Then I start upsd and it says:

[root at server bin]# ./upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 0.44.1
Warning: Data for UPS [miami] is stale at startup

And finally if I try to read data using upsc it fails:

[root at server bin]# ./upsc miami at localhost
Unable to get variable list - Receive timeout

I also noticed that even with debugging hidups doesn't display anything
other than what's above even after restart upsd and attempting to query
the UPS with upsc.

Any suggestions?

--
Greg Gulik                                 http://www.gulik.org/greg/