[Nut-upsuser] Re: APC Back-UPS ES 500 and Red Hat 7.3

Gregory Gulik greg at gulik.org
Mon Aug 8 14:37:57 UTC 2005

Thanks.  I find it odd that my old Belkin USB UPS worked just fine with
this same system.

Anyway, after some contortions I compiled nut 2.0.2 with newhidups on
this system.   However now newhidups isn't able to detect this UPS:

[root at server bin]# dmesg | grep -i ups
hiddev0: USB HID v1.10 Joystick [APC Back-UPS ES 500 FW:801.e5.D USB
FW:e5] on usb1:2.0
[root at server bin]# ./newhidups -D /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.23 (2.0.2)

debug level is '1'
No USB/HID UPS found

However when I then try hidups on the same device it seems to find it:

[root at server bin]# ./hidups /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0
Network UPS Tools: HID UPS driver 0.13 (2.0.0)

Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

Detected APC Back-UPS ES 500 FW:801.e5.D USB FW:e5
on port /dev/usb/hid/hiddev0

Greg Gulik                                 http://www.gulik.org/greg/
greg @ gulik.org