[Nut-upsuser] RE: Energizer USB UPS

Viktor T. Toth vttoth at vttoth.com
Tue Aug 16 12:48:19 UTC 2005

I recently picked up yet another Energizer UPS at a local store... it was
too cheap (CAD 29.99) to leave behind, and I thought I'd use it to
experiment, perhaps to find out why my driver was reportedly misbehaving on
Linux 2.6.11.

Well, to make a long story short, it appears that the good folks at
Energizer completely changed the interface in newer versions of their UPS.
The model numbers haven't changed (the model I picked up is an ER-HM450,
which was reportedly working with my driver previously) but the Windows
driver software is very different and the USB behavior, while probably still
nonstandard, is also different.

In other words, my Energizer driver will NOT work with recent versions of
this UPS.

For reference, the UPS that does work comes with a CD-ROM that bears the
label (tiny black print on a dark brown blackground), "Personal edition
Version 4.2". The newer UPS that has the altered interface has "Personal
edition Version 5.0" on the CD-ROM.

Viktor