[Nut-upsuser] Re: MGE Protection Center and Suse

arnaud.quette at mgeups.com arnaud.quette at mgeups.com
Wed Jul 27 11:25:04 UTC 2005

> > mea culpa: should be "/etc/hotplug/usb/libhidups"_
>
> ok try with the right path:
>
> backup:~ # export ACTION=add && export TYPE=USB && export
> DEVICE=/proc/bus/usb/002/002 && /etc/hotplug/usb/libhidups
> no output !?

no output are generated (as it's something that work
in background). But the right of the device file
(/proc/bus/usb/XXX/YYY) should have been modified
to rw-rw---- and root:nut.

Thanks to redo that test (manual call to libhidups)
and to check the device file perms.

IMPORTANT: before calling libhidups, you _must_
check the exact path of the device file, using lsusb
in order to have the right XXX/YYY.

> > - is hotplug running: "/etc/init.d/hotplug status"
>
> backup:~ # /etc/init.d/hotplug status
> -bash: /etc/init.d/hotplug: No such file or directory

that is really really strange. hotplug should be installed
by default!
if "rpm -q hotplug" gives an empty answer, try to install
hotplug, then unplug / replug the USB cord, ls on the
device file and report back...

> Very strange that there is no /etc/init.d/hotplug
> Maybe my mistake?
>
> Hope you see the failure

I think we got it. But once more, I find really strange
that hotplug isn't installed. But I've not put a Require: hotplug
in the NUT SUSE packages, so it hasn't been managed at
install time (I thought any distro installs hotplug).

Arnaud