Fwd: [Nut-upsuser] Will MGE-UPS Ellipse USBS auto shutdown?

Philippe Marzouk phil at ozigo.org
Sun Aug 13 14:53:13 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 11:20:20PM +1000, Ben wrote:
> On 8/13/06, Peter Selinger <selinger at mathstat.dal.ca> wrote:
> >Ben,
> >
> >Not all UPS hardward and not all drivers support ondelay/offdelay.  In
> >any case, you should let your system shutdown script kill the UPS, at
> >the very end, after all the disks have been mounted read-only, and
> >just before the system is normally halted. This will turn off your
> >computer safely. -- Peter
>
> Ok, so if I want to use a UPS for a router, then I need to attach a
> computer to the UPS as well, to ensure the UPS shuts down at a certain
> point, otherwise the router will continue to use the battery and the
> UPS will not deactivate itself before it reaches an unsafe level?

MGE UPSes shutdown after 120 seconds when low battery condition is met
(when batteries reach 30% by default) and restart automatically after a
few seconds when the power comes back even if no computer is attached.

The computer connection allows to change the default and to warn the
computer of the mains status to allow for safe shutdown.

Philippe