[Nut-upsuser] bcmxcp_usb driver with PW5110

Alistair Popple alistair.popple at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 00:41:05 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have got a Powerware 5110 UPS which has a usb interface on it.  I have
downloaded and compiled nut-2.0.3-pre2 with the usb drivers enabled on
RedHat Enterprise V3 however I have been unable to get nut to connect to the
UPS.  I have tried executing the driver directly (using bcmxcp_usb -DD -u
root /proc/bus/usb/002/002) as well as using upsdrvctl with the port set to
auto (am I correct in using /proc/bus/usb/002/002 as the device given the
UPS is at this address?).  Here is the relevant output from lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0592:0002 Powerware Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               0.20
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x0592 Powerware Corp.
  idProduct          0x0002
  bcdDevice            0.50
  iManufacturer           1 Powerware
  iProduct                2 Powerware UPS
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           34
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
  unknown descriptor type: 09 21 10 01 00 01 22 00 00
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               none
        wMaxPacketSize          8
        bInterval              20
  Language IDs: (length=4)
     0409 English(US)

Also the kernel reports the following when the device is connected:

usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x592/0x2) is not claimed by any active
driver.

Which to me indicates that something is wrong with the kernel/usb driver
configuration, however I'm not sure what driver I should be using for the
device (or should I not worry because it is a userland driver)?

Anyway any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Alistair