[Nut-upsuser] SOHO Serial Solution needed

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Jan 23 16:01:22 UTC 2006

> 	I'm looking to backup a small network (Hughes DW7000 satellite
> modem, small consumer grade Internet Broadband router+wireless, Soekris
> NET4801 single board computer + 4 port lan card, Cisco 2900 switch)
> and want a small form factor (This is sitting on a small shelf) and
> light.

Without digging too deep into this, you would surely get more useful
answers if you can give an estimate for the maximum size that would fit
your needs, power demands, backup time needed, the amount of $$$ you're
prepared to spend on it, etc.

> 	The main thing I'm running into is that it *HAS* to be serial.
> (The Soekris only has 1 USB port and I plan on using a 4G memory stick
> and don't want it via a hub). I'm having a really hard time finding one
> that seems to fit the bill, and then to know what serial cable to get
> and then know someone has used it with NUT.

If you've found something yourself already, if the device is mentioned in
the list of supported UPSes, it most likely will work. Most of the time if
a special cable is needed, it will either be provided with the UPS and/or
instructions on how to make it are given.

Regards,
Arjen