[Nut-upsuser] Problems with MGE ESV 8+ and NUT 2.0.3

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 13:17:51 UTC 2006

Hi Daniel,

2006/6/29, Daniel Johansson <donnex at donnex.net>:

> Hello, I recently had a failure with my old MGE ESV8 ups, it just died
> on me so I had to get a new one. I found a MGE ESV8+ cheap and
> everything seems to work fine with it except the communication with the
> computer. The old ESV8 (non +) worked fine with NUT after applying some
> patches I got from the mailing list, but I think they are in the source
> tree now. I'm using the same cable that worked with my old ups, as it's
> the same protocol mge-utalk and same cable to the new ups.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 6.1 amd64 with NUT 2.0.3 installed from ports and my
> problem is that I can't seem to get any data out of the UPS.
>
> When starting upsd I get this:
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.3
> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/U-Talk driver 0.87 (2.0.3)
> Could not get multiplier table: using raw readings.
> .Detected Si on /dev/cuad0
> updateinfo: Cannot update system status
> Starting nut.
> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.3
> Connected to UPS [ups]: mge-utalk-cuad0
> Synchronizing........ giving up
>
> and my message log is filled with:
> Jun 29 13:14:12 zeus mge-utalk[78111]: updateinfo: Cannot update system
> status
> Jun 29 13:14:12 zeus upsd[78121]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check
> driver
> Jun 29 13:14:13 zeus upsd[78121]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
> Jun 29 13:14:23 zeus mge-utalk[78111]: updateinfo: Cannot update system
> status
> Jun 29 13:14:23 zeus upsd[78121]: Data for UPS [ups] is stale - check
> driver
> Jun 29 13:14:23 zeus upsd[78121]: UPS [ups] data is no longer stale
>
> I'm able to run upsc but I get no data out of the ups:
> battery.charge: 000.0
> battery.charge.low: 00
> battery.runtime: 00000
> battery.voltage: 000.0
> battery.voltage.nominal: 000.0
> driver.name: mge-utalk
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/cuad0
> driver.version: 2.0.3
> driver.version.internal: 0.87
> input.frequency: 00.00
> input.transfer.boost.high: 000.0
> input.transfer.boost.low: 000.0
> input.transfer.high: 000.0
> input.transfer.low: 000.0
> input.transfer.trim.high: 000.0
> input.transfer.trim.low: 000.0
> input.voltage: 000.0
> output.current: 000.0
> output.voltage: 000.0
> ups.delay.shutdown: 000
> ups.delay.start: 000
> ups.firmware: 1
> ups.id: Si 1
> ups.load: 000.0
> ups.mfr: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
> ups.model: Si
> ups.status:
> ups.temperature: 000.0
> ups.test.interval: 000
>
> This is what my conf files looks like..
> ups.conf:
> [ups]
>         driver = mge-utalk
> [...]

please, send back a gzip'ed output of "mge-utalk -DDDDD -a ups"
Also, have you tried the tip mentionned in mge-utalk manpage (section "KNOWN
ISSUES")
   Repetitive stale status ‐ Loss of communication
       Older  models,  such as ES/ESV ones, might report repetitive "data
stale" errors. This is due to the
       fact that these models doesn't support too much polling. To  solve
this  problem,  add  "pollinter‐
       val=20"  in  ups.conf,  and  change  the  value  of MAXAGE to 25 in
upsd.conf, and DEADTIME to 25 in
       upsmon.conf.

Arnaud