[Nut-upsuser] safenet on debian etch

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Jul 24 12:44:41 UTC 2006

> I just got myself a new everpower-1000va.
>
> according to the compatibility list, the 'safenet' driver supposed to
support it,

That depends. The hardware this driver is written for is usually OEM
equipment and vendors tend to shop for the lowest bidder. So quite often
they change the internals of the UPS, without changing the typenumber or
even the box it is packaged in. If your UPS came with 'SafeNet v1.0'
software for Windows (either in the box or via download) it should be
supported by this driver. If something else is bundled, you'll have to
continue your search as it probably won't be supported by this driver.

> however, when I try, I get this in syslog:
>
> Jul 24 15:05:22 tv upsd[26458]: Can't connect to UPS [everpower1000]
(safenet-ttyS1): No such file or directory

This usually means the safenet driver isn't running. You may want to run
the driver from the commandline with '-DDDDD' added to make it more
verbose. Chances are that it will be telling you why it can't be started.
This can be  as trivial as a serial port without the proper permissions.

[...]

> I am using nut installed via apt on debian-etch.

This isn't very helpful for people not running Debian. Please list version
number of kernel and NUT.

Regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands