[Nut-upsuser] Nut issue or MGE issue?

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Jun 3 18:58:16 UTC 2006

Scott,

I wouldn't worry about it. UPSs are low-tech devices. The load
measurement circuit is probably cheap, and not very accurate. Its main
function is to detect overload conditions (loads > 100%), and not to
measure small loads to within one or two percent.

Measuring the charge is even more unreliable; most UPSs just measure
the battery voltage, which is a very crude measure of charge. The fact
that it immediately jumps to 86% as soon as you charge it seems to
prove this point. This is typical behavior for batteries.

-- Peter