[Nut-upsuser] Recommended UPS to buy for use with NUT?

Scott Tuc Ellentuch at T-B-O-H ml at t-b-o-h.net
Sun Jun 4 21:42:56 UTC 2006

> On 6/4/06, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:
> >
> > At least here in the Netherlands, quite a few (cheap) UPSes are sold
> > nowadays that sport high VA ratings, but really lack the battery
> > capacity needed to power even a modest load for more than a few minutes.
> > Clay should avoid these at all cost.
>
> MGE rather usefully do a runtime calculator where you put in the power
> draw and required runtime and it suggests options from their range.
>
> Worked like a charm when I used it, however there's a gotcha.  An ups
> with a 28 minute runtime may signal LB at 19 minutes, resulting in a
> shutdown sometime sooner than you expect :)
>
> If you need a 20 minute actual runtime you'll probably need a 30
> minute theoretical runtime.

	Warning on that. Even though the Ellipse Pulsar 1200 I bought
said it would do 90 minutes, its pretty much "hard coded" to just do a
countdown and shutdown within 20-30. Even if you deplete the battery
completely, when you start it up it thinks its at 86% charged. You can't
go by what the MGE calc says and what you'll get for all models.

			Tuc