[Nut-upsuser] Powerware 5110, SuSE10.1 & USB

Gary and Jane Pearce gary at thepearces.com
Mon Jun 5 22:44:58 UTC 2006

Roger Price suggested:

> Just a passing thought - What result does the command /sbin/resmgr list
> provide?  Does it include a line such as

>rw-- usb:vendor=0x04b8,product=0x0128

Which must be a pointer to the answer as resmgr reports to me:

# /sbin/resmgr list
status code 200
server message follows:
no devices available

whereas lsusb reports:

# /usr/sbin/lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0592:0002 Powerware Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

The article he suggests
( http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Scanner_Setup_from_SUSE_Linux_10.0 )

Indicates the need to add the device using resmgr, but here my complete
ignorance of modern resource management shows:

# /sbin/resmgr add usb:vendor=0x0592,product=0x0002 ups
status code 500
server message follows:
no such class: ups

OK then how about:
# /sbin/resmgr add usb:vendor=0592,product=0x0002 usb
success

Not really a success however:
# /sbin/resmgr list
status code 200
server message follows:
no devices available

So I am uncertain of where to turn next. Its also interesting to note that
scanners have the add performed by Yast which automagically puts the add line
into /etc/resmgr.conf.d/50-scanner.conf but there appears to be no ups config
utility for doing the same thing in yast or anywhere else and presumably one
day in the future there should be ? Or have I just not found it ?

A pointer to an article explaining the arcane ins and outs of usb would also
be appreciated as I reckon its probably now mandatory bedtime reading.

Thanks for the help so far

Gary