[Nut-upsuser] Eaton USB PowerWare 3105

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 12:17:18 UTC 2006

On 6/5/06, Brendan Kelly <bkelly7 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 04:34 +0300, lonely wolf wrote:
> > On 06/06/2006 02:53 AM, Brendan Kelly wrote:
> > > This is just to let the list know that I have had success getting my FC3
> > > system talking to my USB PW3105. I used nut 2.0.3 and recompiled from
> > > source so as to get the bcmxcp_usb driver. After that it was just a
> > > matter of following the (very good) INSTALL instructions provided in the
> > > tarball. Although I haven't got the hotplug scripts working yet (the
> > > samples provided are not a good fit on a FC3 system) I got around this
> > > by setting the perms (640) and ownership (nut:nut) manually for
> > > both /dev/ttyS1 and /proc/bus/usb/xxx/yyy (xxx/yyy obtained from lsusb).
> > >
> > since it's an USB ups, you should not need to touch /dev/ttyS1 (that is
> > the serial port)
>
> The system appears to map /dev/ttyS1 to the right USB port - I have no
> idea how. My entry in ups.conf is:
> [pw3105]
>                  driver = bcmxcp_usb
>                  port = /dev/ttyS1
> This seems to work.

I think Lonely Wolf is right - you do not need to modify permissions
on /dev/ttyS1. According to the man page, the bcmxcp_usb driver only
supports one UPS, and apparently the port name just has to be some
placeholder value (the man page suggests "auto"). (Not saying that you
should change anything, just that there is no connection.)

--
- Charles Lepple