[Nut-upsuser] MGE ellipse 1200 config and documentation

Ivan Adzhubey iadzhubey at rics.bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 9 02:33:35 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have recently purchased MGE ellipse 1200 UPS for my home system. Obviously,
the choice of this particular brand was mainly dictated by MGE's
long-standing support for Linux and NUT project. The fact that the box was
clearly the prettiest looking one on the block did help also ;-). I have had
NUT tools installed and configured in no time, as I did it numerous times
before -- kudos to developers for a brilliant piece of software! Everything
worked fine but now I wanted to tune configuration a bit and that's where the
surprise came. I was well prepared to the fact that printed documentation
that came with the box was pretty much useless. What I was not prepared was
the quality of MGE's web site (English-language version). Guys, if you want
my advice: FIX IT IMMEDIATELY. Not only the design is awful and it is full of
broken links pointing nowhere, but even the minuscule amount of extra
documentation that can be found there is written in mostly incomprehensible
language (it is supposed to be English I guess), outdated, incomplete and
plain wrong in places. This creates a VERY bad image of the company. I
understand MGE is mainly targeting on kind of industrial market, but they do
sell at least some consumer grade products, don't they? Now, as a consumer I
am rather angry at the moment and definitely won't recommend MGE's products
to any of my less-techie friends. Ok, getting off the flame mode: I would
appreciate if someone from MGE reading this list would take his/her time and
tell me what are the "programmable outlets" aka Powershare (TM) feature is
and how to actually program it with NUT, if possible? There is absolutely
nothing about it to be found anywhere in the documentation. It would also be
nice if I could get some comments on the meaning of the MGE-specific items
from the driver output listed below.

Thanks,
Ivan

Some specs:

System: ALTLinux Sisyphus (www.altlinux.com), kernel 2.6.16
$ rpm -qa|grep nut-|sort
nut-2.0.2-alt3
nut-devel-2.0.2-alt3
nut-driver-2.0.2-alt3
nut-server-2.0.2-alt3
UPS Driver: mge-shut (cable attached to RS-232 port)

$ upsc ellipse at localhost
battery.charge: 100
battery.charge.low: 30
battery.runtime: 01715