[Nut-upsuser] Trouble Configuring NUT with Gamatronic USB

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 14 06:05:16 UTC 2006

Hi

I am running FC5 with nut coming from the fc5 extras repositories. I
am trying to configure a Gamatronic D-Compact ups. The cable that came
with the ups has a serial connector on one end and a usb on the other.

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices produces

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#=  4 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0925 ProdID=1234 Rev= 0.01
S:  Manufacturer=Richcomm Tech
S:  Product=UPS2004
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=100mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbhid
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   6 Ivl=10ms

So the ups is detected. But when I try to run

upsdrvctl -u nut start or upsdrvctl -u root start I get

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.3
execv: Permission denied
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

/etc/rc.d/init.d/ups start produces

Starting newhidups: Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.3)

No matching USB/HID UPS found
                                                            [FAILED]
Starting upsd: Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.3
Can't connect to UPS [Gamatronic] (-auto): No such file or directory
Synchronizing........ giving up
                                                            [  OK  ]
Starting UPS monitor (master): Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.0.3
Using power down flag file /etc/killpower

Fatal error: insufficient power configured!

Sum of power values........: 0
Minimum value (MINSUPPLIES): 1

Edit your upsmon.conf and change the values.
                                                            [FAILED]

/etc/sysconfig/ups  contains

# If the UPS is locally attached set it to "yes"
SERVER=yes
# Model of the UPS (filename to call for it, without path)
# Example - one of
#       apcsmart        - APC SMartUPS and similar
#       fentonups       - Fenton UPS
#       optiups
#       bestups
#       genericups
#       ups-trust425+625
#  upsdrvctl
# You MUST change this, or set SERVER to "no"
# To support multiple drivers, set MODEL=upsdrvctl
MODEL=newhidups
# UPS device - needed if UPS is locally attached
DEVICE=auto
# Any options to pass to $MODEL
# ex. for my TrippLite UPS, use
#       OPTIONS="-t 5"
OPTIONS=
# Any options to pass to upsd
UPSD_OPTIONS=
#
# [End]

/etc/ups/ups.conf contains

[Gamatronic]
     driver= newhidups
     port = auto
     desc = "Gamatronic D-Compact"

I tried to modifying /etc/udev/rules.d/nut-usbups.rules to inlcude the
following lines before LABEL="nut-usbups_rules_end" to include

# Gamatronic D-Compact - usbhid-ups
SYSFS{idVendor}=="0925", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1234", MODE="660", GROUP="nut"

I got the same results. Please help me to get nut configured correctly.

Thanks

Eli