[Nut-upsuser] Config for powercom 2200

gypsy gypsy at iswest.com
Thu Jun 15 05:41:44 UTC 2006

"Dan Mahoney, System Admin" wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, gypsy wrote:
>
> > "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I've tried some very base configs with the powercom 2200, but I can't seem
> > > to get it to work.  Has anyone dealt with these UPSes before, or know if
> > > they use the standard powercom drivers?
> > >
> > > I'd be more than happy to allow access to my test system so someone more
> > > knowledgeable can take a look (and am also willing to pay something for
> > > the solution of said problem.)
> > >
> > > -Dan Mahoney
> >
> > Need more info.  I have a SmartLink that uses PowerCom monitoring
> > software and (so far at least), there is no Nut serial driver that works
> > for it.  Try fentonups.
> >
> > What software was supplied with the UPS?
> > Does it work?
>
> Something crappy called UPSMON.  It works, but it's windows only.  It
> doesn't really give accurate numbers as far as load or voltage, just
> approximate percentages.

If you look at the CD, you should find NetWare and Linux software on the
PowerCom CD.  I'm still using the Linux driver.  The Linux package also
has a UPSDISP and a DOWN script.

You're right.  The UPSMON software stinks.  I too offered root access
but nobody wanted to touch it.

> I'd be more than happy to ship a copy of THAT to someone too -- in the
> interests of getting a working driver for this stuff.
>
> > What message(s) do you get when you run 'upsdrvctl start'?
>
> powercom:
>
> ads-bsh-fwa1# /usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
> Network UPS Tools - PowerCom and similars protocol UPS driver $ Revision:
> 0.5 $ (2.0.2)
>
> data receiving error (validation check)
> (then it dies)
>

> FentonUPS:
>
> ads-bsh-fwa1# /usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
> Network UPS Tools - Fenton UPS driver 1.22 (2.0.2)
> Short read during UPS id sequence
> Short read during UPS id sequence
> Short read during UPS id sequence
> Short read during UPS id sequence
> Short read during UPS id sequence
> Unable to detect a Fenton or Megatec protocol UPS
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
> ads-bsh-fwa1#
>
> > Does the powercom or fentonups driver load in spite of the error(s)?
> > If so, what happens when you run upsd?
>
> see above.

So you and I are faced with the same thing.  I also tried all the
genericups combinations and none of them returned anything but a string
of zeros.

> > If that works, what happens when you run upslog?
>
> nope.
>
> > What I'm going to do is to try all the serial drivers again.  When I did
> > this the first time, a few actually loaded in spite of error messages.
> > I did not try to run upsd on any of these.  'upsdrvctl stop' failed to
> > kill the serial driver for some.  But it may just be that there is a
> > name string expected that is not in the driver, so an error message is
> > generated.  In that case, the protocol might still work.
> >
> > I simply have not had time to fsck with it because trying different
> > serial drivers is time consuming and tedious.  There oughtta be a better
> > way...
>
> Like a "make tryall" with the assumption that WARNING THIS MIGHT BE STUPID
> AND COULD BLOW YOUR EQUIPMENT UP -- DONT DO IT WITH ANYTHING YOU CARE
> ABOUT PLUGGED INTO IT...
>
> If you've got any ideas, let me know.  If you want root on a test system,
> let me know.  I'm not unwilling to trade services for help, or even FREE
> UPSES for help -- I have a ton of these things that have otherwise shot
> batteries that I could ship empty, and then drop-ship the cells to anyone
> willing to play with it more locally (like with a serial probe)

As I said above, I intend to try every serial driver.  For each that
stays resident, I'll load upsd to see if the protocol is right.  Might
get lucky, but I'm betting not.  I doubt that anybody is going to step
up and write a serial driver for us.  The only other thing I can think
of is to ask PowerCom to release the Linux source.  Sure.

--
gypsy