[Nut-upsuser] Config for powercom 2200

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Jun 14 03:32:45 UTC 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, gypsy wrote:

> "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" wrote:
> >
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've tried some very base configs with the powercom 2200, but I can't seem
> > to get it to work.  Has anyone dealt with these UPSes before, or know if
> > they use the standard powercom drivers?
> >
> > I'd be more than happy to allow access to my test system so someone more
> > knowledgeable can take a look (and am also willing to pay something for
> > the solution of said problem.)
> >
> > -Dan Mahoney
>
> Need more info.  I have a SmartLink that uses PowerCom monitoring
> software and (so far at least), there is no Nut serial driver that works
> for it.  Try fentonups.
>
> What software was supplied with the UPS?
> Does it work?

Something crappy called UPSMON.  It works, but it's windows only.  It
doesn't really give accurate numbers as far as load or voltage, just
approximate percentages.

I'd be more than happy to ship a copy of THAT to someone too -- in the
interests of getting a working driver for this stuff.

> What message(s) do you get when you run 'upsdrvctl start'?

powercom:

ads-bsh-fwa1# /usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
Network UPS Tools - PowerCom and similars protocol UPS driver $ Revision:
0.5 $ (2.0.2)

data receiving error (validation check)
(then it dies)

FentonUPS:

ads-bsh-fwa1# /usr/local/libexec/nut/upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.2
Network UPS Tools - Fenton UPS driver 1.22 (2.0.2)
Short read during UPS id sequence
Short read during UPS id sequence
Short read during UPS id sequence
Short read during UPS id sequence
Short read during UPS id sequence
Unable to detect a Fenton or Megatec protocol UPS
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
ads-bsh-fwa1#

> Does the powercom or fentonups driver load in spite of the error(s)?
> If so, what happens when you run upsd?

see above.

> If that works, what happens when you run upslog?

nope.

> What I'm going to do is to try all the serial drivers again.  When I did
> this the first time, a few actually loaded in spite of error messages.
> I did not try to run upsd on any of these.  'upsdrvctl stop' failed to
> kill the serial driver for some.  But it may just be that there is a
> name string expected that is not in the driver, so an error message is
> generated.  In that case, the protocol might still work.
>
> I simply have not had time to fsck with it because trying different
> serial drivers is time consuming and tedious.  There oughtta be a better
> way...

Like a "make tryall" with the assumption that WARNING THIS MIGHT BE STUPID
AND COULD BLOW YOUR EQUIPMENT UP -- DONT DO IT WITH ANYTHING YOU CARE
ABOUT PLUGGED INTO IT...

If you've got any ideas, let me know.  If you want root on a test system,
let me know.  I'm not unwilling to trade services for help, or even FREE
UPSES for help -- I have a ton of these things that have otherwise shot
batteries that I could ship empty, and then drop-ship the cells to anyone
willing to play with it more locally (like with a serial probe)

-Dan

--

"Let me tell you something about regrowing your dead wife Lucy, Harry.
It's probably illegal, potentially dangerous, and definitely crazy."

-Harry nods-

Vincent Spano, as Boris in "Creator".