[Nut-upsuser] MGE Pulsar Extreme communication problems

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 09:10:08 UTC 2006

Hi Daniel,

2006/6/15, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>:
> On Monday 22 May 2006 16:40, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > > I still can't turn the outlets on and off though, the value doesn't
> > > change from 0 :( I have tried a few random numbers but no luck. Has
> > > anyone had this work? I've tested it using the Win32 software and it does
> > > switch so I at least know the hardware isn't broken :)
> >
> > I haven't yet had time to look at this, but there might be a
> > regression as it was working before!
>
> Have you had a chance to look at this? We're getting pretty close to ship date
> so I won't be able to test it after much longer.

yes, I'm currently modifying some things on the Development tree.
outlet.X.switch doesn't work as expected, but you can have the same
result by using outlet.x.delay.{shutdown,start), ie:
- the equivalent to load.off on outlet.1 is:
upsrw -u user -p password -s outlet.x.delay.shutdown=0 ups at host

the same goes for load.on on outlet.1:
upsrw -u user -p password -s outlet.x.delay.start=0 ups at host

I'll add new commands (ie outlet.X.load.{on,off}), but I don't think
I'll backport it for 2.0.4. While waiting, you have the above solution

> I've found I can't shut the UPS off - presumably because that requires setting
> variables.
>
> I am using USB now - here is a log of newhidups trying to turn the power off.
>
> Also, it seems it is no honouring offdelay - the log says it's trying to set
> ups.delay.start to '30'
> [ups1]
>         driver = newhidups
>         port = auto
>         ondelay = 120
>         offdelay = 90
>
> --
> Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer
> for Genesis Software - http://www.gsoft.com.au
> "The nice thing about standards is that there
> are so many of them to choose from."
>   -- Andrew Tanenbaum
> GPG Fingerprint - 5596 B766 97C0 0E94 4347 295E E593 DC20 7B3F CE8C
>

> kiruna# /usr/local/libexec/nut/newhidups -k -u nutmon -D -D

a bit hard to check this line, with all the html noise.
can you send it back for validation.

> debug level is '3'
> Checking device (0463/FFFF) (/dev/usb1//dev/ugen0)
> Initiating UPS shutdown
> entering setvar(ups.delay.start, 30)
>
> entering string_to_path()
> Looking up UPS
> Looking up PowerSummary
> Looking up DelayBeforeStartup
> Report : (8 bytes) =3D> 17 FF FF FF 04 01 04 02                        =20
> =3D>> SET: Before set: -10.00 (30)
> =3D>> SET: after exp: 3/3.00 (exp =3D 0.10)
> PhyMax =3D 0, PhyMin =3D 0, LogMax =3D 65535, LogMin =3D -1
> =3D>> SET: after PL: 3
> =3D=3D> Report after setvalue: (8 bytes) =3D> 17 03 00 00 04 01 04 02      =
>                   =20
> Set report failed
> =46AILED
>
> Shutoff command failed (setting ondelay)
> Shutdown failed.
> kiruna# ^D=08=08exit

I've tried with several EXtreme 700C and 1000C (no 1500 underhand), on
Linux and everything works as expected. Note that both using inline
{off,on}delay (using "-x offdelay...") and config file parameters
works.

Here are several things to validate:
- are you sure about the ups.conf file used (ie configured in
/etc/nut, but using /usr/local/ups/etc...)?
- are the device right ok (rw) for nutmon?
- a good test is to try:
"newhidups -u root -DDD -x offdelay=90 -x ondelay=120 -k auto"
after having done "export USB_DEBUG=3"
and then send me back the log excerpt (starting at "Initiating UPS shutdown")

Arnaud