[Nut-upsuser] Trouble Configuring NUT with Gamatronic USB

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sat Jun 17 13:36:53 UTC 2006

Eli Wapniarski wrote:

> upsdrvctl -DDDDD -u root start produces
>
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.1.0
> Starting UPS: Gamatronic_D-Compact
> exec: /usr/bin/ -a Gamatronic_D-Compact
> execv: Permission denied
> Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
>
> I think I understand the problem here. Though I do not know how to solve it.

No, the problem is much more mundane. The third line should have been:

exec: /usr/bin/newhidups -a Gamatronic_D-Compact

What's in your ups.conf? Probably that configuration file is messed
up.

> After running
>
> newhidups -DD -u root -x vendorid=0925 auto
>
> or
>
> newhidups -DD -u root -x vendorid=0925 /dev/bus/usb/002/002
>
> and then digging into what gets placed into /var/state/ups/ I find a device
> file newhidups-002. Instead of being linked to /dev/bus/usb/002/002 it points
> to /dev/sda1 which is a disk device and usually points to my pen drive which
> was not plugged in at the time.

I am not sure what you mean by "linked". That file should not be
linked to anything. Also, the driver does not care if you give
/dev/bus/usb/002/002 or /dev/bus/have/a/nice/day. It ignores the last
argument (except for setting the state file name).

You can also try:

newhidups -DD -u root -x vendorid=0925 -a Gamatronic_D-Compact

-- Peter