[Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL Unknown protocol

James Northcott / Chief Systems james at chiefsystems.ca
Tue Jun 27 19:22:36 UTC 2006

Good afternoon,

I'm trying without much success to monitor a Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL
using NUT.  I checked the compatibility list and saw that this UPS is
supported by tripplite_usb.

The system is running Debian Stable, but I've downloaded NUT 2.0.3 and
compiled from source since the packaged 2.0.1 doesn't include tripplite_usb.

I compiled --with-user=nut.

My first attempt at starting the driver with
/usr/local/ups/bin/tripplite_usb auto gave "No matching USB/HID UPS
found".  I searched the list archives and found that -u root might help,
and also that the kernel hid driver must not be allowed to claim the
device.  After doing "rmmod hid", "/usr/local/ups/bin/tripplite_usb -u
root auto" gives one of the following, seemingly at random:

====

Network UPS Tools - Tripp Lite OMNIVS and SMARTPRO driver 0.6 (2.0.3)
Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

Detected a UPS: TRIPP LITE/TRIPP LITE OMNIVS1500XL
Unknown protocol (2001)Attached to Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL
Unknown value for s[2]: 0x34
Error reading 'D' value: Unknown error 0
Error reading 'M' value: Unknown error 0

Network UPS Tools - Tripp Lite OMNIVS and SMARTPRO driver 0.6 (2.0.3)
Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

Detected a UPS: TRIPP LITE/TRIPP LITE OMNIVS1500XL
Unknown protocol (2001)Attached to Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL
Unknown value for s[2]: 0x34
libusb_set_report() returned -6 instead of 8
Error reading L value: Unknown error -6

Network UPS Tools - Tripp Lite OMNIVS and SMARTPRO driver 0.6 (2.0.3)
Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

Detected a UPS: TRIPP LITE/TRIPP LITE OMNIVS1500XL
Unknown protocol (2001)Attached to Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL
Unknown value for s[2]: 0x34
libusb_get_interrupt() returned -19 instead of 8
libusb_get_interrupt() returned -19 instead of 8
libusb_get_interrupt() returned -19 instead of 8
Error reading 'D' value: Unknown error 0
libusb_set_report() returned -19 instead of 8
Error reading 'M' value: Device detached?
Reconnect attempt #1
Successfully reconnected
libusb_set_report() returned -6 instead of 8
Unknown input voltage: 0x00
Unknown battery voltage: 0x0000
Unknown number of switchable load banks: 0x00
Unknown protocol (2001)Attached to Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL
libusb_set_report() returned -6 instead of 8
Error reading 'T' value: Unknown error -6

====

I've checked the list archives, and it seems that the unknown protocol
part means that my UPS is using a protocol that hasn't yet been seen by
the developers.  The rest of the errors seem to indicate a connection
problem?

I have two questions.

First, am I right?  Is this UPS not supported by tripplite_usb?  If so,
is there anything I can do to help update the compatibility list and/or
add support for my UPS?  If not, what else can I try to get it working?

Second, what permissions should I set so that I don't need -u root?
I've tried chgrp nut /dev/usb/hiddev*, but without -u root I still just
get "No UPS found".

Thanks,

James