[Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL Unknown protocol

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 02:56:26 UTC 2006

On 6/27/06, James Northcott / Chief Systems <james at chiefsystems.ca> wrote:
>  I'm trying without much success to monitor a Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL using
> NUT.  I checked the compatibility list and saw that this UPS is supported by
> tripplite_usb.

Apparently, they have upgraded the firmware. See below.

>  Detected a UPS: TRIPP LITE/TRIPP LITE OMNIVS1500XL
>  Unknown protocol (2001)Attached to Tripp Lite OMNIVS1500XL

This is the problem: I have only worked an OMNIVS1000 that reported
protocol 0x1001, and a SMARTPRO that reported 0x3003 (and the SMARTPRO
support is sketchy at best).

>  I've checked the list archives, and it seems that the unknown protocol part
> means that my UPS is using a protocol that hasn't yet been seen by the
> developers.  The rest of the errors seem to indicate a connection problem?

Those are odd errors, but then again, there are a bunch of little
timing-related differences between the protocols that I don't fully
understand.

>  I have two questions.
>
>  First, am I right?  Is this UPS not supported by tripplite_usb?  If so, is
> there anything I can do to help update the compatibility list and/or add
> support for my UPS?  If not, what else can I try to get it working?

If you have a Windows test machine, you could try to send us a
protocol dump. It's a bit involved, and the dump is more useful if you
can run the battery all the way down, so if it's a production machine,
this isn't the way to go.

>  Second, what permissions should I set so that I don't need -u root?  I've
> tried chgrp nut /dev/usb/hiddev*, but without -u root I still just get "No
> UPS found".

It's /proc/bus/usb/XYZ/ABC where XYZ is the bus number, and ABC is the
device number (which will change every time you plug it in, or
whenever the Tripp Lite gets hit by cosmic rays).

For Debian sarge, you should probably use the scripts/hotplug
directory in the nut source tarball. (If sarge uses hotplug-ng, there
is another directory for that, too). Email the list if you run into
trouble.

--
- Charles Lepple