[Nut-upsuser] newhidups driver process crashed shortly after upsd loads

Steve Ziuchkovski steve at ziuchkovski.com
Tue Mar 14 02:25:58 UTC 2006

I'm using an APC Back-UPS XS with nut 2.0.3. I've recompiled/reinstalled the
source, and switched over to the newhidups driver (instead of the old hidups
driver).

I modified by ups.conf to use newhidups.

The hotplug files were not automatically installed, I had to copy those from
the scripts directory to my hotplug/usb directory.

The newhidups driver loads find and then works for a moment to a few
minutes. I've had it working long enough a couple times to get upsd loaded
and query it with upsc. However, it dies shortly after running with a
segmentation fault. Here is a sample of the last bit of output from
"/usr/local/ups/bin/newhidups -u nut -DDD /dev/hiddev0" (nothing about the
process death is in syslog):

=================
Object: UPS.PresentStatus.VoltageNotRegulated = 0
entering path_to_string()
Looking up 00840002
Looking up ff860080
Object: UPS.PresentStatus.ff860080 = 0
entering path_to_string()
Looking up 00840002
Object: UPS.PresentStatus. = 0
entering path_to_string()
Looking up 00840002
Object: UPS.PresentStatus. = 0
entering path_to_string()
Looking up 00840002
Object: UPS.PresentStatus. = 0

=>Got 16 HID Objects...
Object: UPS.PresentStatus. = 0
find_hid_info: unknown variable: UPS.PresentStatus.

Object: UPS.PresentStatus. = 0
find_hid_info: unknown variable: UPS.PresentStatus.

Object: UPS.PresentStatus. = 0
find_hid_info: unknown variable: UPS.PresentStatus.

Object: UPS.PresentStatus.ff860080 = 0
find_hid_info: unknown variable: UPS.PresentStatus.ff860080

Object: UPS.PresentStatus.VoltageNotRegulated = 0
find_hid_info: unknown variable: UPS.PresentStatus.VoltageNotRegulated

There are more lines of the unknown variable problem before it faults.

Has anyone experienced this before? Please help me help you help me - can I
provide any other logs or configuration information to describe my problem
more clearly?

Steve Z.