[Nut-upsuser] Re: NUT with a serial to USB converter

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 07:13:50 UTC 2006

Hi Brian,

I've added the nut user list as this kind of info might be helpful to others.

> I've got a Cyberpower 1500AVR UPS and it works great with my FreeBSD
> 6.0 server using NUT and the serial cable. However, my server only has one
> serial port and I would like to use it for a console connection. My UPS
> did come with a serial to USB converter and it would be ideal if I could
> get that to work.
>
> However, I do have some questions:
>
> 1) Does NUT support this converter?
> 2) Will it work with my model of UPS?
> 3) How do I set it up in the config file?
>
> I've tried playing around with it a bit and I couldn't make it work. I'm
> new to NUT so it could easily have been operator error.
>
> Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

when using a serial to usb adapter, you access the device through an
emulated serial port (ie /dev/ttyUS0 instead of /dev/ttyS0 on Linux).
You then only have to use the standard serial driver (ie for MGE, use
mge-shut instead of the real USB newhidups driver). In your case, the
cyberpower driver should be the right choice.

Arnaud Quette