[Nut-upsuser] Various NUT issues/questions

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Fri May 12 14:52:43 UTC 2006

Scott "Tuc" Ellentuch at T-B-O-H wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	FINALLY got my UPS working, YEA!!!! But now it brings
> up even more issues.. (BOOO!!)
>
> 1) I'm thinking this is a UPS issue, but when I pull the plug
> on my UPS, it goes from 100 to 30 in just a short amount of
> time (Minutes). This causes the machine to shut down. But once
> it gets to 0, its beeped its little heart out for a few more
> HOURS providing power to the non-system items perfectly. The
> power supply for the Soekris is only a .35A power supply and
> puts out 12V 1.5A , so not like I'm shedding a huge load.

Possibly those non-system items are drawing very little power, causing
your UPS to last much longer than it would if your computer was still
powered up. Or possibly, the battery charge measurement is just very
inaccurate.

> 2) Lets say that the UPS gets low and the system shuts down,
> but the power comes back on... I guess that means the system
> stays shut down.. Whats the lowest number to safely set it
> to shut down? (But then I run into the problem with #1.

Of course not; the system should reboot when the power comes back on.
On most (all?) PC's, there is a BIOS setting that lets you choose what
to do when power comes on: stay off, boot, or revert to previous
state. Many people use this to turn their PC on from the switch on a
power bar.

> 3) Most of the values in UPSlog are NA, such as input
> voltage, ups.load (Though I did see it say 4 ONCE, temp and
> input frequency. When I do a "upsrw" I get :
> [outlet.0.desc]
> [outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low]
> [outlet.1.desc]
> [outlet.1.switch]
> [ups.delay.shutdown]
>
> Is that the ONLY items I can get besides :
>
> battery.charge: 0
> battery.charge.low: 30
> battery.runtime: 00000
> driver.name: mge-shut
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/cuaa0
> driver.version: 2.0.3
> driver.version.internal: 0.65
> outlet.0.desc: Main Outlet
> outlet.0.switchable: 0
> outlet.1.autoswitch.charge.low: 0
> outlet.1.desc: PowerShare Outlet 1
> outlet.1.id: 2
> outlet.1.switch: 1
> outlet.1.switchable: 1
> ups.delay.shutdown: -1
> ups.load: 6
> ups.mfr: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
> ups.serial: unknown
> ups.status: OB DISCHRG LB

Hard to say without comparing it to another similar device, but
doesn't look unusual to me. -- Peter