[Nut-upsuser] newhidups, udev, usb, and frustration

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Sun Sep 17 14:53:25 UTC 2006

Denis Hainsworth wrote:

> holy crap.  just rpm'd the hotplug stuff for fc3. added an appropriate
> line to usb.usermap and a script that changes permissions and group
> and it just worked.

Excellent. I have added your device F6C550-AVR (050d/0551) to our
standard hotplug scripts in SVN as well.

> I swear this hotplug/udev stuff has to be the most confusing stuff
> i've run into on linux since maybe the early days of crafting
> monitor timing lines by hand for X11 :)

Yes, and it seems to change with every other kernel version. A pain in
the neck.

> however I have one last issue that I was curious if anyone had fixed. I
> am going to see if I can get a newer version of nut hoping it resolves
> the issue.  now that its work i'm getting spammed with the following
> message is syslog:
>
> usb 1-1: usbfs: process 32652 (newhidups) did not claim interface 0
> before use

This has been observed before, but not resolved. It is likely a bug in
libusb or usbfs, and not in newhidups. Perhaps it is just a warning,
and not an error. Not all versions of nut/libusb/usbfs produce these
messages. You should be able to observe that "lsusb -v" generates the
same type of message:

usb 4-1: usbfs: process 13993 (lsusb) did not claim interface 1 before use
usb 2-2: usbfs: process 13993 (lsusb) did not claim interface 0 before use

-- Peter