[Nut-upsuser] FreeBSD rc.d scripts or shutdown howto?

Bryan gruvin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:11:32 UTC 2007

On 22/08/07, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> I guess you aren't using the port then.. It
> installs /usr/ports/sysutils/nut/files/nut*.sh.in (after replacing
> certain items).

So it does! I've now found those files (just where you said) still
sitting there from a previous port install (deinstalled prior to
installing v2.2 of course). I'll use them for my manually compiled nut
v2.2. But...

The trouble I'm now having is that UPS communication just stops for no
apparent reason. Data goes stale and I get the broadcasts about the
UPS being unavailable. upsc tells of a similar fate. *sigh*

I just shut the driver (and upsd, upsmon) down (usbhid-ups) and
reloaded it -- comms are back again. Then reloaded upsd and upsmon --
everything is working as if there was never a problem. Hmmm.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the syslog about the usb device
or anything related -- except many messages from upsmon that is --
they are there in droves.

I guess I need to figure out if the UPS itself is failing in it's
firmware or usb port or the kernel usb drivers (unlikely I'd say) or
usbhid-ups itself. That simply reloading the latter re-establishes
comms does suggest the fault lies there. But I can't be sure of
course.

It seems to me that the UPS pushes data every couple seconds, rather
than being polled. If that's true, I guess there's every chance the
UPS is just "going to sleep" and gets a kick-start at usbhid-ups
driver start-up time. *shrug*

I just went to the server room and messed with the power feed to the
UPS, switching on and off at various internals while watching
usbhid-ups in debug -DD mode. Data wasn't interrupted. Oh well -- was
just a thought. :P

You know, come to think of it, there's another MGE AVR 600 here on a
Windows XP box that just now and then loses communications too, maybe
once or twice a month? It's an unmonitored workstation. Hmmm...

So that's it. I don't have any idea how to track this down. How about
you kind sir? Anyone else? ;-)

Bryan.

P.S: Yikes -- long post. Now it's even longer. Doh! :P