[Nut-upsuser] FreeBSD rc.d scripts or shutdown howto?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Aug 22 08:36:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007, Bryan wrote:
> On 22/08/07, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> > I guess you aren't using the port then.. It
> > installs /usr/ports/sysutils/nut/files/nut*.sh.in (after replacing
> > certain items).
>
> So it does! I've now found those files (just where you said) still
> sitting there from a previous port install (deinstalled prior to
> installing v2.2 of course). I'll use them for my manually compiled
> nut v2.2. But...
>
> The trouble I'm now having is that UPS communication just stops for
> no apparent reason. Data goes stale and I get the broadcasts about
> the UPS being unavailable. upsc tells of a similar fate. *sigh*

Yes, AFAIK this is because you're using a USB UPS. I've never been able
to reliably talk to one on FreeBSD.

I just use RS232 ports and be done with it - I don't know how to track
down the problem is :(

> I just shut the driver (and upsd, upsmon) down (usbhid-ups) and
> reloaded it -- comms are back again. Then reloaded upsd and upsmon --
> everything is working as if there was never a problem. Hmmm.

You're lucky, whenever I've tried it I usually have to unplug and replug
the UPS :)

> So that's it. I don't have any idea how to track this down. How about
> you kind sir? Anyone else? ;-)

I wish :(
I know a bit about USB protocol stuff but there are so many intervening
layers..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum