[Nut-upsuser] SNMP/management front-ends

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 21:02:55 CET 2007

On 1/2/07, Eric A. Hall <ehall at ehsco.com> wrote:
> I've been using TrippLite's PowerAlert software with my RM2200XL2U rack
> system and my APC BackUPS desktop systems. Unfortunately it doesn't work
> with openSUSE 10.2 (the software has problems with the serial port and UPS
> interfaces on openSUSE 10.2), so I've been looking at other options. I see
> that openSUSE 10.2 includes NUT, and it appears to work with my TrippLite
> UPS via the USB driver (thanks!). It looks like upsc is reporting most of
> the data, although it's missing a couple of things like battery charge,
> and the ability to control the four independent loads.

The equipment that I was testing against has been put away, so I can't
test much myself. I have a vague idea of the changes necessary for
load control and battery charge, so if you want, you can try building
from source, and we can work on that in the SVN tree. Bear in mind
that bugs in driver testing could shut your system down at a bad time,
so caveat emptor.

SVN instructions: http://www.networkupstools.org/source.html

> I can hack up a Cacti PHP script to monitor UPS state via the upsc client
> in the meantime. I'll have to manually enumerate the UPS names associated
> with a host target (is there a way to probe for them with upsc now?), but
> otherwise it ought to be pretty straightforward scripting.

Here is some information on the protocol, and specfically enumerating UPSes:

http://boxster.ghz.cc/projects/nut/browser/trunk/docs/protocol.txt#L128

--
- Charles Lepple