[Nut-upsuser] SNMP/management front-ends

Eric A. Hall ehall at ehsco.com
Tue Jan 2 20:07:33 CET 2007

Hi,

I've been using TrippLite's PowerAlert software with my RM2200XL2U rack
system and my APC BackUPS desktop systems. Unfortunately it doesn't work
with openSUSE 10.2 (the software has problems with the serial port and UPS
interfaces on openSUSE 10.2), so I've been looking at other options. I see
that openSUSE 10.2 includes NUT, and it appears to work with my TrippLite
UPS via the USB driver (thanks!). It looks like upsc is reporting most of
the data, although it's missing a couple of things like battery charge,
and the ability to control the four independent loads.

Successful use of nut will also depend on my ability to monitor the
systems via SNMP and Cacti, and that seems to be a bit of a hole at the
moment. It looks like there are SNMP projects in the to-do pile, but the
only code I see is from the 2004 patch. Does that old code work with the
newer drivers and Net-SNMP, or will I need to wait for the new stuff?

I can hack up a Cacti PHP script to monitor UPS state via the upsc client
in the meantime. I'll have to manually enumerate the UPS names associated
with a host target (is there a way to probe for them with upsc now?), but
otherwise it ought to be pretty straightforward scripting.

Thanks for any info