[Nut-upsuser] Revive support for HP PowerTrust?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 04:05:44 CET 2007

On 1/2/07, Jakob Haufe <sur5r at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm currently looking for a monitoring program for a HP PowerTrust UPS
> (A2998A) for Linux.
>
> It seems that nut supported these UPSs until version 1.4.3. What was the
> reason for the driver being removed from nut? Are there plans to
> reintegrate it?

Quoting from the FAQ:

" Q: My favorite UPS driver disappeared after an upgrade.  What now?

 A: Drivers are occasionally removed from the tree if they are no longer
    receiving maintenance.  There have been several architectural
    changes to the driver code in recent times, and drivers which were
    not converted by someone are eventually dropped.

    This is called progress.  We do this in order to avoid a situation
    where someone believes that a driver is being maintained when it is
    actually rotting slowly in the tree.  It also keeps the tree free of
    old compatibility hacks for code that nobody actually uses anyway.

    To get a driver back into current releases, you need to convert it
    yourself or get someone to do it for you.  This is not difficult.
    The hardest part of any driver is decoding the protocol, and that's
    already been done in the old version."

So, If you don't mind doing some testing (and you're prepared to deal
with any side effects, like accidentally turning the UPS output off
while debugging), then we can work with you to try and resurrect the
driver.

--
- Charles Lepple