[Nut-upsuser] Install problem & Geek Squad UPS

Gary Redden redden at skybest.com
Fri Jan 19 18:29:41 CET 2007

I Seem to have made some progress in getting nut-2.0.5 installed, but
hidups still has a version number of 0.13. First is hidups 0.13 the
correct version? if not how do I find the correct version. Second if my
Geek Squad GS1285U UPS is not supported how do I proceed. I have been a
programmer for 35 years(mostly high level computer aided design),
written code in 20 some languages, am retired and it is cold outside so
I am mostly at my computers. I have very limited work on Linux/Unix. I
did get Apache web server running (redden.homeip.net). If someone can
point me in the right direction I will try to get it working. Cyber
Power Systems makes the GS1285U and they say that it shares some of the
commands with the Cyber Power Systems 685AVR.

Here is the info from my system. I ran hidups on all my USB devices.

 From /usr/local/ups/etc/ups.conf   These are the only non-comment lines.
[GeekSquad1]
    driver = hidups
    port = /dev/bus/usb/001/002
    desc = "Geek Squad GS1285U"

gary at redden-p700:~$ sudo /usr/local/ups/bin/hidups -DDDD -u root -a
GeekSquad1
Network UPS Tools: HID UPS driver 0.13 (2.0.5)

Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

debug level is '4'
/dev/bus/usb/001/001 is not a UPS

gary at redden-p700:~$ sudo /usr/local/ups/bin/hidups -DDDD -u root -a
GeekSquad1
Network UPS Tools: HID UPS driver 0.13 (2.0.5)

Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

debug level is '4'
/dev/bus/usb/001/002 is not a UPS

gary at redden-p700:~$ sudo /usr/local/ups/bin/hidups -DDDD -u root -a
GeekSquad1
Network UPS Tools: HID UPS driver 0.13 (2.0.5)

Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

debug level is '4'
/dev/bus/usb/001/003 is not a UPS

gary at redden-p700:~$ sudo lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0553:0202 STMicroelectronics Imaging Division
(VLSI Vision) Aiptek PenCam 1
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0764:0501 Cyber Power System, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
gary at redden-p700:~$