[Nut-upsuser] Install problem & Geek Squad UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 18:59:06 CET 2007

On 1/19/07, Gary Redden <redden at skybest.com> wrote:
> I Seem to have made some progress in getting nut-2.0.5 installed, but
> hidups still has a version number of 0.13. First is hidups 0.13 the
> correct version? if not how do I find the correct version. Second if my
> Geek Squad GS1285U UPS is not supported how do I proceed. I have been a
> programmer for 35 years(mostly high level computer aided design),
> written code in 20 some languages, am retired and it is cold outside so
> I am mostly at my computers. I have very limited work on Linux/Unix. I
> did get Apache web server running (redden.homeip.net). If someone can
> point me in the right direction I will try to get it working. Cyber
> Power Systems makes the GS1285U and they say that it shares some of the
> commands with the Cyber Power Systems 685AVR.
>
> Here is the info from my system. I ran hidups on all my USB devices.

Please try again with the 'newhidups' driver in 2.0.5.

By 'newhidups', I don't mean 'a new version of hidups'. Rather, the
'hidups' driver is an experimental driver from way back when, and
'newhidups' was a total rewrite that was designed to be more modular
(and portable).

Right now, 'newhidups' has support for many different USB UPSes
(including the 685AVR from what I have heard from other developers),
whereas 'hidups' only supported a subset of the protocol, and only on
Linux at that.

Since 'newhidups' is not a drop-in replacement for 'hidups', both are
being kept in the source code until the end of the 2.0.x version
series. The 'hidups' driver is deprecated, though, and when we
eventually get to 2.2.x, 'hidups' will be gone, and 'newhidups' will
be called 'usbhid-ups' so that we can start from a clean slate.

--
- Charles Lepple