[Nut-upsuser] initial configuration assistance

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se
Tue Jan 30 17:34:59 CET 2007

Hi Gregory,
tis 2007-01-30 klockan 14:43 +0900 skrev Gregory Orange:
> Hi,
> I've browsed the archives back for a few months and nothing has jumped
> out at me as being helpful, but since there doesn't seem to be a search
> facility it's certainly possible I've missed what I'm looking for.
> Anyway, I wonder if someone can help me.
>
> I've very recently installed nut 2.0.4-r1 on a gentoo box and am in the
> initial stages of configuration and testing. Our APC Smart-UPS 3000 is
> connected with a 940-0024C serial cable, which seems to be a good one to
> use - I firstly removed the 940-1524C cable which happened to be
> dangling from the UPS.
>
> I've configured upsd.conf with
> [rack1ups]
>          driver = apcsmart
>          cable = 940-0024C
>          port = auto
>          desc = "Rack 1 UPS"
> and left most other files as default, except for following some parts of
> doco on initial setup.

The port should be set to /dev/ttyS0 if you use the first com port.
Then depending on the udev version the tty is owned by the tty group
or the uucp group. Check by ls -al /dev/ttyS0.

Add the nut user to the right group in /etc/group. This is more easy
then trying to fix the udev rule.

> The problem: When I /etc/init.d/upsd start, I get this:
> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.4
> Can't connect to UPS [rack1ups] (apcsmart-auto): No such file or directory
> Synchronizing........ giving up

Try to start the driver first.
/etc/init.d/upsdrv start

Check that it is running and that it don't fail.

Then start the deamon if it is ok.
/etc/init.d/upsd start

I'm running Gentoo ~X86 and use a homemade ebuild for nut-2.0.5 with
some patches that i entered into the development trunk.

Regards
Kjell