[Nut-upsuser] initial configuration assistance

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Wed Jan 31 01:45:02 CET 2007

Arjen de Korte wrote:
>>          port = auto
> This won't work. You need to specify a serial port for this driver (see
> 'man 5 ups.conf' and 'man 8 apcsmart'). Only the 'newhidups' driver
> accepts 'auto' (anything actually), but that is an USB driver.

Ah ok thanks - I won't switch between 'auto' and the serial port any
more in my testing. I had just grabbed the idea to use auto from some
examples floating about the web, but it's highly likely that they were
using newhidups, which I won't be.

>> The problem: When I /etc/init.d/upsd start, I get this:
>> Network UPS Tools upsd 2.0.4
>> Can't connect to UPS [rack1ups] (apcsmart-ttyS0): No such file or directory
>> Synchronizing........ giving up
>
> I would expect some lines showing that the driver is started, so I doubt
> that the driver is running. Are you sure that /etc/init.d/upsd is an init
> script and not a link to the upsd binary? What does the output of 'ps
> aux|grep ups' show when you've started this?

 From your tip I did check that - it is indeed a script but as you say,
running it gave no reference to the driver starting. So I found
/etc/init.d/upsdrv and went directly to /usr/sbin/upsdrvctl start
which gave this output:
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
Network UPS Tools (version 2.0.4) - APC Smart protocol driver
         Driver version 1.99.8, command table version 2.0
Unable to detect an APC Smart protocol UPS on port /dev/ttyS0
Check the cabling, port name or model name and try again
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Charles: thank you for the Google tip - that will be most helpful. As
for the port, it is indeed /dev/ttyS0.

Kjell: User and group nut were auto-created by the install, and nut
belongs to tty group too.

Armed with this info, I'll get some serial port help onsite here and
report any successes or more queries. Thank you all for your help so far.

Greg.

--
      Gregory Orange             Phone: +61 8 9387 7955